Why in the discussion?
- India has been selected for the Plenary session for the first Executive Board of the UN-Habitat Assembly. Significantly that the first session of this meeting was held in Nairobi, Kenya on May 27-31, 2019.
- The theme of the UN-Habitat Conference is ‘Innovation for Better Quality of Life in Cities and Communities’ (Innovation for Better Quality of Life in Cities and Communities).
- UN-Habitat: A United Nations program in the direction of a better urban future. Its mission is to promote the development of social and environmental sustainable human settlements and adequate shelter for all.
- It is a cognitive institution on urban development processes governed by the UN General Assembly in 1978 to address urban development issues.
- Contribution: Investments of more than $ 152 million in making cities more inclusive, safe, flexible and sustainable by member countries.
- Communities, cities or towns that improve their solid waste management and reduce their waste management expenditure will be publicly recognized as ‘Waste-Wise Cities’.
- This initiative calls for community, cities and towns around the world to think again, reduce, recycle, and recycle the waste.
- For the period of 2020-2025, strategic planning of the program of UN human settlements has been presented. The goal of this scheme is to promote sustainable urbanization as a driver of development and peace, to ensure better living standards for all.
- In the presence of the participating nations, the new Urban Agenda-NUA and its statements on efforts to promote sustainable urban development were presented.
- Asian and African countries like India, Pakistan, Indonesia, Rwanda and Uruguay presented an overview of national policies and practices.
- Seeing social housing as an important public interest, Venezuela gave some suggestions.
- Korea insisted on the ability of artificial intelligence and virtual reality technology to solve urban problems.
- UN-Habitat is UN agency for human settlements. It was established in the year 1976 as the result of the first United Nations Conference on Human Settlements and Sustainable Urban Development (Habitat-I)] held in Vancouver, Canada.
- It is a member of the United Nations Development Group.
- UN-Habitat is headquartered in the United Nations Office of Nairobi, Kenya.
- The United Nations General Assembly has entrusted the responsibility of promoting socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities in the direction of providing suitable housing for all.
- The main documents related to the organization’s work area are:
- Vancouver Declaration on Human Settlements, The Habitat Agenda, The Istanbul Declaration on Human Settlements (in Habitat II) in Istanbul, The Declaration on Cities and Other Human Settlements in the New Millennium; Resolution 56/206
- Areas of Focus: Land Law; town planning; Urban and municipal finance; Risk reduction and rehabilitation; Research and capacity development
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation; Ministry of Urban Development; Policy commission
- Major Publishing: The Global Report on Human Settlements, The State of World Cities; Urban World